Up until recently, I had generally tended to follow cross-stitch patterns in stitching magazines. However, a few weeks ago I was somewhat naughty and placed an order for a quantity of cross-stitch kits with Sew and So.
One of the items I ordered was a Dimensions Gold Petites Elegant Bookmarks kit.
Unfortunately, I failed to read what the kit included. It wasn’t until I received delivery of it that I realised with horror that I would need to make my own bookmark tassels, using thread supplied with the kit. As I had never previously tried my hand at making tassels, I found myself filled with trepidation. In addition, I also discovered that I would need to supply my own backing fabric for the bookmarks.
Both bookmarks were stitched on one piece of 14-count ivory Aida. I started with the lily bookmark, which proved to be a labour of love, due to the quantity of French knots required. I then stitched the vine bookmark, which was thankfully a lot easier. In addition, I learnt a new stitch (Turkey Work), which I’d never heard of, but looks rather effective.
Making the tassels was nowhere near as horrendous as I’d feared, so it proved to be a rather enjoyable challenge. The instructions stated that I had to sew the charms supplied with the kit to the bookmarks, and then tack each tassel to a loop on the charms. At this point, things went rather pearshaped.
When I had initially gone through the kit, I had placed the bag containing the charms on my coffee table, but when I went to retrieve them, they were nowhere to be found. Unfortunately, I think the bag of charms had been knocked off the table, and into the bin below (which had since been emptied). I searched on the internet to see if I could find the exact same charms, or a suitable alternative, but was unsuccessful. In hindsight, I suppose I could have contacted Dimensions, but stubborn pride got the better of me. I decided the only option left was to attach the tassels to the bookmarks, minus the charms. It’s a shame, as in my opinion it’s the charms that add the finishing touch.
The pattern for the bookmarks included folding lines and cutting lines. It wasn’t until after I’d cut around the bookmarks that I realised that there was very little excess Aida left to play with, especially at the top and bottom of the bookmarks.
As a result of the problems I encountered, the finished bookmarks were not as good as they should have been.
|Elegant Bookmark - Lily|
|Elegant Bookmark - Vine|