I’m pleased to announce that I have completed the 80th birthday card for one of my dad’s cousins, featuring Jeanne Dansby’s blackwork Flower design.
In my previous post (In Stitches), I had reported that I needed to add some final additions to the design. After completing that task, I had hoped to add some stitched text to the design, but unfortunately discovered that there wasn’t enough space. I briefly toyed with the idea of purchasing a larger-sized card, with a larger-sized aperture. However, because the Flower design is quite small, I decided that a larger-sized card wouldn’t do the design justice.
I spent a lot of time thinking about how I could add text to the front of the card. If I were skilled in the art of calligraphy, it would have been one option to consider. Eventually, I decided to stitch the text, using pink and silver thread, so that it would tie in with the colours used in the design, and then adhere it to the card itself. I was incredibly lucky as I literally had just enough silver thread. I must remember to purchase some more.
Below is an image of the front of the card. If you click on it, a new tab/window will open displaying a larger-sized image.
|Front of card|
I placed a blank insert sheet inside the card, and used Microsoft Word to add a suitable message. All I can say is that I’m glad I recently passed my ITQ Word exam, as I was required to draw upon my recently acquired skills. The first step was to measure the width and length of the insert, and then change the Page Setup to reflect the dimensions, and change the page orientation to Landscape. Next, I inserted a borderless table (for the text), which was great fun (Not!). I think it took me three attempts to get the position of it just right.